- The Walking Dead S01E01: Days Gone Bye
- The Walking Dead s01e02: Guts
- The Walking Dead s01e03: Tell It to the Frogs
- The Walking Dead S01E04: Vatos
- The Walking Dead s01e05: Wildfire
- The Walking Dead s01e06: TS-19
- The Walking Dead s02e01: What Lies Ahead
- The Walking Dead s02e02: Bloodletting
- The Walking Dead s02e03: Save the Last One
- The Walking Dead s02e04: Cherokee Rose
- The Walking Dead s02e05: Chupacabra
- The Walking Dead s02e06: Secrets
- The Walking Dead s02e07: Pretty Much Dead Already
- The Walking Dead s02e08: Nebraska
- The Walking Dead s02e09: Triggerfinger
- The Walking Dead s02e10: 18 Miles Out
- The Walking Dead s02e11: Judge, Jury, Executioner
- The Walking Dead s02e12: Better Angels
- The Walking Dead s02e13: Beside the Dying Fire
- The Walking Dead s03e01: Seed
- The Walking Dead s03e02: Sick
- The Walking Dead s03e03: Walk With Me
- The Walking Dead s03e04: Killer Within
- The Walking Dead s03e05: Say the Word
- The Walking Dead s03e06: Hounded
- The Walking Dead s03e07: When the Dead Come Knocking
- The Walking Dead s03e08: Made to Suffer
- The Walking Dead s03e09: The Suicide King
- The Walking Dead s03e10: Home
- The Walking Dead s03e11: I Ain’t a Judas
- The Walking Dead s03e12: Clear
- The Walking Dead s03e13: Arrow on the Doorpost
- The Walking Dead s03e14: Prey
- The Walking Dead s03e15: This Sorrowful Life
- The Walking Dead s03e16: Welcome to the Tombs
- The Walking Dead S04E01: 30 Days without an Accident
- The Walking Dead: Season Four
- The Walking Dead: Season Five
A review by C J Dee
Director: Leslie Linka Glatter
Writer: Evan Reilly
Starring: Andrew Lincoln, Norman Reedus, Chandler Riggs, Steven Yeun, Scott Wilson, Lauren Cohan, Emily Kinney, Laurie Holden, Melissa McBride, Danai Gurira, Michael Rooker, David Morrissey, Lew Temple, Dallas Roberts, Sonequa Martin-Green, Chad L. Coleman
Running time: 43 minutes
Rating: ★★★★★ 5/5
[Spoilers, Sweetie — review contains a synopsis of episode]
‘The Suicide King’ begins where the last episode ended — the Governor (Morrissey) demands Merle (Rooker) and Daryl (Reedus) fight to the death. Andrea (Holden) pleads with the Governor but she is ignored. Merle begins to beat Daryl, but it is merely a ruse and the brothers start to fight the zombies together. Rick (Lincoln), Maggie (Cohan) and Michonne (Gurira) arrive just in time to save Daryl and Merle.
After the group escape from the town, a herd of zombies enter the town through their exit.
The group quarrel on the way back as to whether or not Merle and Michonne should be allowed back to the prison. Daryl is the only one who speaks for his brother. When the rest of the group refuse to let Merle come to the prison, Daryl chooses to leave the group and goes into the woods with his brother. Michonne is told her wounds will be tended to and then she is expected to leave.
The townspeople feel unsafe now that their town has been invaded and try to leave but the Governor’s men stop them. The walkers that broke into town that night start attacking and the Governor seems to have abandoned his people until one is bitten. At this he comes out of his home, shoots the man in the head, then returns to his abode without a word.
The townspeople begin to panic without their leader but Andrea steps up. She gives a speech that inspires the people to rally once more.
Rick and the rescue party return to the prison and meet the new arrivals. Hershel tries to convince him they are good people and to let them stay, but Rick is not convinced. As they discuss it, Rick hallucinates his dead wife which causes him to snap.
The episode ends with Rick drawing his gun and chasing the prison’s new arrivals from the property.
I can’t help but to feel so sorry for Rick. He has carried so much on his shoulders and lost a lot along the way, it’s no wonder the poor guy has finally broken.
Daryl has become almost Rick’s lieutenant/deputy/right-hand man. It will be interesting to see how his loss will affect the leader already on the brink.
This episode reunited the group in a sense. Daryl and Merle back together (albeit they first reunited in the closing scene of last episode). Glenn and Maggie returned to the group with their saviours. However, despite everyone being brought together, the group seems more fractured than it was several episodes ago.
I look forward to seeing the guys and gals rallying for their next challenge.
‘I must be the first brother in history to break into prison.’
‘Makes me the first white boy that didn’t want to break out.’