A wrap of today’s SFF news. If you have news to be included, DM or email me.
Jay Lake fundraiser
From the website:
Jay Lake is an award-winning American author of ten science fiction novels and over 300 short stories. He is also one of more than a million Americans who have colon cancer. Diagnosed in April, 2008, Jay’s cancer has progressed from a single tumor to metastatic disease affecting the lung and liver, recurring after multiple surgeries and chemotherapy courses, and multiplying from single tumor presentations to multiple tumors presentations. Jay is now in his fourth round of chemotherapy, but it’s not clear that it’s working, and his doctors have little to go on in terms of advising further courses of treatment for him. In short, things are not looking good for Jay. Not at all.
However, a new technology is becoming available—one that may offer his doctors a better option for treating the cancer. We’re trying to raise funds to allow Jay to have whole genome sequencing.There is a small possibility that the results of such a test, which is more comprehensive than conventional genetic testing of tumors, may suggest a treatment path that Jay’s doctor’s may not have considered, and that could be life saving. It’s a really small chance, and Jay knows that.
For this fundraiser, we have asked some science fiction and fantasy writers to donate an “Act of Whimsy” which they will share with the community as we reach milestones in our fundraising.
AWESOME NEWS! This fundraiser is already fully funded so there will be LOTS of whimsy and
In the event that Jay’s costs are less than expected, or that funds are raised in excess of his costs, those funds will be used to support a much-needed leave of absence for Jay, who has worked steadily through all of his treatment, so that his body has the best possible chance of recovery, and so that he can spend time with his family.
Jay Lake Fundraising goals have unlocked the following whimsy:
- $2000 — The Juvenalienation: NYT Bestselling author Tobias S. Buckellwill crack open a locked box containing his oldest, complete first short story, typed out on cracked, yellowing paper and hidden away in shame lo these many years. Written when he was fourteen, it is full of embarrassingly awkward writing that he will turn into an eBook as a reward for anyone who donates. GOAL UNLOCKED!
- $3000 — Malt-O-Vision:hang out with NYT Bestselling author Tobias S. Buckell on a Google Plus hangout as he drinks his favorite scotches and answers questions and chats about… well, you bring the topic! The 1st five people to donate $100 or more get a seat in the Hangout. GOAL UNLOCKED!
- $4000 — Hugo Award-winning author and voice actor Mary Robinette Kowalwill read selections of beloved classics as phone sex. GOAL UNLOCKED! Watch the video of Mary reading.
- $6000 — Hugo-award winner Jim C. Hineswill read excerpts from his very first completed story, which was a 50,000 word novel about his Dungeons & Dragons character, a purple-clad elf named Nakor. (That’s right, his D&D character was blatantly ripped off from Raymond Feist’s work.) But that’s not all! He’ll do the reading in costume, dressed as Nakor, and will post the video for all to see and mock! GOAL UNLOCKED!
- $7000 — Best-selling authors Scott Lynch & Elizabeth Bearwill perform a sock puppet show of one of Jay Lake’s short stories. gOAL UNLOCKED!
- $8000 Seanan McGuire Filking BonusGOAL UNLOCKED!
- $9000 — Hugo-award winner, writer for Doctor Who and novelist Paul Cornellwill try to sing Kate Bush’s “Wuthering Heights”
- $10,000 — Best-selling author Cherie Priestwill present a steampunk/goth fashion show for pets with the able assistance of her cat Spain and her dog Greyson. GOAL UNLOCKED!
- $12,000 — The creators of the Jay Lake Documentarywill unveil a comic short for Jay and you. GOAL UNLOCKED!
- $15,000 — NY Times Best-selling author and Hugo award winner John Scalziwill sing a lost Bob Dylan song, in the style of Bob Dylan. GOAL UNLOCKED!
- $17,500 — NY Times Best-selling author Patrick Rothfuss will unleash a “terrible surprise.” GOAL UNLOCKED!
- $20,000 — NY Times Best-selling author Neil Gaiman will perform a cover from the Magnetic Fields album 69 Love Songswhilst accompanying himself on the Ukulele. Every donor of $50 or more will be entered in a drawing to choose the song that Neil sings. GOAL UNLOCKED!
We set the goal at the bare minimum to get Jay this chance for treatment, but there are tons of other expenses not covered by his medical insurance. Thanks to the generosity of the community, we have some amazing stretch goals coming.
- $25,000 — Award-winning author Seanan McGuire rewrote all of season one of VERONICA MARS as a Shakespearean tragedy. Which counts as transformative. She is assembling a small cast to video tape the closing sequence from the final act of “The Tragedy of Lillian Kane, Princess of Neptune.”
- $30,000— A goal so awesome your mind will implode when we reveal it.
For more information follow this link.
Robot Spider DRESS by Anouk Wipprecht
Girls wear greasepaint to sell hardrives – sexism is obvs. dead *snark*
Sexism is dead, long live sexism! This reminds me of THAT episode of the Footy Show, a program I religiously watched the last half-hour to an hour-and-a-half while it ran overtime and the science fiction program following it was either delayed then cut to compensate or cancelled because FOOTY SHOW. THAT episode featured models who had been misled as to their role in the show, coming in and being allegedly forced – including alleged bullying and threats against their careers – into wearing greasepaint footy tops before going on stage for national television with middle-aged has-beens slobbering and salivating on camera. One of their finest hours. *snark*
Geekery raises money for Worldbuilders (charity)
Want to play games at conventions with ‘Geek Elite’? Pat Rothfuss is auctioning gaming entry tix.
Brutal Tips on Breaking into Comics
Gail Simone talks harsh realities about the comic book industry.
Star Trek/Big Bang Theory mashup
thanks to the Big Bang Theory for this link
Regardless of Ben McKenzie‘s loathing for Big Bang Theory, I have to see this episode.
Gothica Felinius Doorknocker
Thanks to the Macabre and the Beautifully Grotesque for this pic