Dark Matter Zine and Kate Murdoch are giving away 2 x electronic copies and 2 x paperback copies of The Orange Grove, an early 19th century court intrigue novel set in a Duc’s home where his wife and mistresses vie for position.
To enter, email email@example.com with ‘The Orange Grove’ in the subject heading. Include your postal address in the body of the email if you want to be in the running for a paper copy. Please indicate if you’d prefer mobi or epub in the event that you win the electronic version.
About The Orange Grove
Blois, 1705. The château of Duc Hugo d’Amboise simmers with rivalry and intrigue. Henriette d’Augustin, one of five mistresses of the duc, lives at the château with her daughter. When the duc’s wife, Duchesse Charlotte, maliciously undermines a new mistress, Letitia, Henriette is forced to choose between position and morality. She fights to maintain her status whilst targeted by the duchesse who will do anything to harm her enemies. The arrival of charismatic tarot reader, Romain de Villiers, further escalates tensions as rivals in love and domestic politics strive for supremacy.
In a society where status is a matter of life and death, Henriette must stay true to herself, her daughter, and her heart, all the while hiding a painful secret of her own.
Praise for The Orange Grove
“A historically authentic and intelligently crafted period drama that’s romantically stirring.”
– Kirkus Reviews
(read the full review)
“[The Orange Grove] vividly recreates the lives, loves and fears of aristocratic women at the turn of the 18th century. Intrigues, jealousies, and the terror of being dependent on the whims of a selfish duc…the ladies of the chateau are brought alive in Kate Murdoch’s fascinating second novel.”
– Pamela Hart, author of The Desert Nurse
“The Orange Grove reveals all the elegance and exquisite intrigue of the French court, seen through the eyes of the women. Mistresses and wives, duchesses and daughters – their lives and fortunes depend on their skills at plotting, spying, and manipulating – each other. Their interwoven stories are vivid, fabulously vicious, and always compelling.”
– Kelly Gardiner, author of Goddess
Terms and Conditions
Dark Matter and Kate Murdoch are giving away 2 electronic copies and 2 paperback copies of The Orange Grove. To enter, email firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘The Orange Grove’ in the subject heading. The competition closes on 31 October 2019.
- To enter, either email email@example.com or use DMZ’s contact form and put ‘The Orange Grove’ as the subject heading and your postal address in the body of the email.
- Entrants must reside ON PLANET EARTH. Because postal services don’t deliver to the international space station.
- All entries must be received by 5pm AEST (Melbourne and Sydney time) 31 October 2019.
- No late entries accepted.
- Winners will be selected via a random number generator.
- Winners must provide a snail mail address for delivery of the paperback. Without a snail mail address, entrants will only be considered for the electronic version.
- Email address and snail mail address will only be used for the purpose of this competition.
- Kate Murdoch will mail out prizes, so the winners’ names and addresses will be provided to her for this purpose.
- The name of the winner will be published without address or email; these details will be held conﬁdential and DMZ will not use this information for any other purpose. We don’t even put you on a mailing list. How cool is that?
- DMZ is running this competition in good faith; no responsibility is taken for mishap or misadventure, but due care is taken.
- All decisions are ﬁnal, no correspondence will be entered into.