- Fundraising to support Australian fire-fighting efforts
- Zana Fraillon
- Kelly Van Nelson
- Narelle Warren
- Jodi McAlister
- Eleanor Limprecht
- Rob McDonald
- Nick Gadd: #AuthorsForFireys guest blog
- Elizabeth Stevens: #AuthorsForFireys guest blog
- Wai Chim
- Gabrielle Reid
- Sarah Foster
- Jessica White
- Peter McLean: #AuthorsForFireys guest blog
- Emma Neale: #AuthorsForFireys guest blog
- Anna Whateley: #AuthorsForFireys guest blog
- Favel Parrett
- Carly Findlay: #AuthorsForFireys guest blog
- Margaret Cook: #AuthorsForFireys guest blog
- Gabrielle Tozer: #AuthorsForFireys guest blog
- Ashley Kalagian Blunt: #AuthorsForFireys guest blog
- Phillipa Nefri Clark: #AuthorsForFireys guest blog
- Samuel Maguire: #AuthorsForFireys guest blog
- Imbi Neeme: #AuthorsForFireys guest blog
- Kelly Morton: #AuthorsForFireys guest blog
- Cass Moriarty
- Danie Ware: #AuthorsForFireys guest blog
- Meg Mundell
- Elizabeth Knox
- Christian White: #AuthorsForFireys guest blog
- Simon Cleary guest blog for Authors For Fireys
This guest blog is by Nick Gadd who is donating to the #AuthorsForFireys auction to raise money for the fire fighting effort here in Australia. The full set of #AuthorsForFireys interviews and guest blogs will be here as soon as they are published.
Nick Gadd says:
I’m a Melbourne novelist, essayist and blogger. Like everyone, I’ve been horrified by the impact of the bushfires. A good friend of mine has lost her house in Mallacoota, and we’ve all seen the scary and heartbreaking images on the news.
I’m participating in #AuthorsForFireys because it seems like a creative way that authors can make an additional contribution on top of our own personal donations.
I’m auctioning a hardback first edition of my new novel Death of a Typographer – the hardback has sold out so you won’t find it in the shops. The Age called it “Clever, stylish and very funny.” It’s a beautiful book with design by Stephen Banham, one of the country’s top designers. He’s picked out more than 30 fonts for the internal pages and created a cover in the style of 1960s Penguin books. The book is a stylish artefact for anyone who appreciates design. I’m going to sign a copy for the top bidder and write them a personalised font joke. I’ll also match whatever their donation is with one of my own.
Nick Gadd’s offer
I'm auctioning a hardback copy of Death of a Typographer for #authorsforfiries #AuthorsforFireys. Beautifully designed book, I'll sign it and write you a personalised font joke. #typography pic.twitter.com/KcZJnNxSWp
— Nick Gadd (@MelbourneCircle) January 6, 2020
I’m auctioning a hardback copy of Death of a Typographer for #authorsforfiries #AuthorsforFireys. Beautifully designed book, I’ll sign it and write you a personalised font joke. #typography.
Update: new donation information.
As originally wanted by @EmilyGale and @NovaWeetman, this fundraiser is now officially for ALL fire services in Australia. The official Authors For Fireys Website will be updated accordingly. Winning bidders or auctioning authors can nominate funds to the fire service of their choice. #AuthorsForFireys.
Want to know if this is legit?
Yes, it is legit. The whole community — Australian and global — is rallying together to support Australian firefighters, wildlife recuse and bushfire victims. Here are some reports on this effort.
- SBS: Australian authors rally around to raise funds for bushfire relief effort
- SMH: Authors ask readers to dig deep for nation’s bushfire crisis
- Book Riot: AUTHORS SUPPORT AUSTRALIA FIRE SERVICES WITH #AUTHORSFORFIREYS
- Penguin Books: Authors For Fireys — Australian authors band together to support the Country Fire Authority
- Daily Nous: Philosophers Raising Funds for Firefighters in Australia
- ArtsHub: Six ways artists can take action on bushfires
Fundraiser information from Emily Gale
The #AuthorsForFireys auction is taking place only on Twitter from Monday 6th January. It ends at 11pm AEST on Saturday 11th January. Scores of authors, illustrators and book industry people will host their own individual auction under the hashtag #AuthorsForFireys. (Also #AuthorsForFiries and now #AuthorsForWildlife). Bids will take place on each tweet. At the end, the highest bidder donates the amount directly to the firefighters fund or the Wildlife fund. After receiving proof of donation, Authors will dispatch or arrange delivery of the goods/services.
Items up for auction include signed books, original illustrations, one-off fan-art and craft, unique gifts and manuscript critiques for writers.
There is a supporting site, explaining how it works, at this address: https://authorsforfireys.wixsite.com/website.
Given the $18million fundraiser (and climbing, thanks Celeste Barber) for the NSW RFS this week, proceeds from the fireys’ auction are going to the CFA (Victoria).