- Fundraising to support Australian fire-fighting efforts
- Zana Fraillon
- Kelly Van Nelson
- Narelle Warren
- Jodi McAlister
- Eleanor Limprecht
- Rob McDonald
- Nick Gadd: #AuthorsForFireys guest blog
- Elizabeth Stevens: #AuthorsForFireys guest blog
- Wai Chim
- Gabrielle Reid
- Sarah Foster
- Jessica White
- Peter McLean: #AuthorsForFireys guest blog
- Emma Neale: #AuthorsForFireys guest blog
- Anna Whateley: #AuthorsForFireys guest blog
- Favel Parrett
- Carly Findlay: #AuthorsForFireys guest blog
- Margaret Cook: #AuthorsForFireys guest blog
- Gabrielle Tozer: #AuthorsForFireys guest blog
- Ashley Kalagian Blunt: #AuthorsForFireys guest blog
- Phillipa Nefri Clark: #AuthorsForFireys guest blog
- Samuel Maguire: #AuthorsForFireys guest blog
- Imbi Neeme: #AuthorsForFireys guest blog
- Kelly Morton: #AuthorsForFireys guest blog
- Cass Moriarty
- Danie Ware: #AuthorsForFireys guest blog
- Meg Mundell
- Elizabeth Knox
- Christian White: #AuthorsForFireys guest blog
- Simon Cleary guest blog for Authors For Fireys
This guest blog features Kelly Morton, an author auctioning items to raise money via #AuthorsForFireys for the fire fighting effort here in Australia. The full set of #AuthorsForFireys interviews and blog posts will be here as soon as they are published, as interviews and guest blogs for #AuthorsForWildlife will be here.
Meet Kelly Morton
I’m not an author and until Monday my businesses Twitter account wasn’t active. I hadn’t planned on launching Twitter until much later on in the year.
I saw #AuthorsforFireys trending and it made me catch my breath. The tweets coming through from authors were incredible. I wanted to get involved, even if it was a little nerve-wracking for me to do so.
This feeling of utter helplessness has overwhelmed me over the past weeks. I suspect, sadly, you know exactly what I’m talking about.
Trying to help is the only thing that comes close to making it subside.
My name’s Kelly Morton, I worked in publishing for over ten years. I’ve had the honour of working with a lot of the authors over that time. I worked at Walker Books Australia, Allen & Unwin and Hachette Australia. I spent most of that time building communities online, marketing campaigns and helping authors.
Last year I went out on my own, I started a business specialising in digital marketing for authors and creatives.
I’m auctioning a digital marketing consultation and online audit. For the consultation, I’m honestly very happy to be led by what might be most useful to the bid winner depending on where they are in their author journey and where they hope to go. Social media platforms, advertising, websites, publishing. Ask me whatever you like!
For the online audit, I will go through their online accounts/website and offer suggestions to optimize. It will help give them a roadmap of what to do next and why.
If you’re in Sydney, we can grab a coffee and treat otherwise I can do this over the phone or skype.
Heck. I’ll interpretive dance it. Whatever is most useful.
(Note: Be careful what you offer. Video of interpretive dance consultation welcome at DMZ. — Editor.)
Building communities. Community. That’s what I love about the power of online. That’s the exact thing giving me hope. People coming together. People helping. We’re seeing social media for good right now and that makes me happy.
Kelly Morton’s offer
I'm not an author but I'd love to help.
I'm an author digital marketing specialist
For authors/aspiring authors, I'd love to offer:
👉 a digital marketing consultation (phone/online/in-person depending where you live)
👉 online audit
— LookingGlassCreative (@LookGlassCreate) January 6, 2020
#AuthorsForFireys I’m not an author but I’d love to help. I’m an author digital marketing specialist For authors/aspiring authors, I’d love to offer: 👉 a digital marketing consultation (phone/online/in-person depending where you live) 👉 online audit Ends Sat 11 Jan 11pm AEDT
Tweet for auction: https://twitter.com/LookGlassCreate/status/1213994884626927616
Please bid on original tweet.
Want to know if this is legit?
Yes, it is legit. The whole community — Australian and global — is rallying together to support Australian firefighters, wildlife rescue and bushfire victims. Here are some reports on this effort.
- SBS: Australian authors rally around to raise funds for bushfire relief effort
- SMH: Authors ask readers to dig deep for nation’s bushfire crisis
- Book Riot: AUTHORS SUPPORT AUSTRALIA FIRE SERVICES WITH #AUTHORSFORFIREYS
- Penguin Books: Authors For Fireys — Australian authors band together to support the Country Fire Authority
- Daily Nous: Philosophers Raising Funds for Firefighters in Australia
- ArtsHub: Six ways artists can take action on bushfires
Fundraiser information from Emily Gale
The #AuthorsForFireys auction will take place only on Twitter from Monday 6th January, ending at 11pm AEST on Saturday 11th January. Scores of authors, illustrators and book industry people will host their own individual auction under the hashtag #AuthorsForFireys and bids will take place on each tweet. At the end, the highest bidder donates the amount directly to the firefighters fund. After receiving proof of donation, the author or artist will dispatch goods/services or make arrangements for delivery.
As originally wanted by @EmilyGale and @NovaWeetman, this fundraiser is now officially for ALL fire services in Australia. The official Authors For Fireys Website will be updated accordingly. Winning bidders or auctioning authors can nominate funds to the fire service of their choice.
Items up for auction include signed books, original illustrations, one-off fan-art and craft, unique gifts and manuscript critiques for writers.
There is a supporting site, explaining how it works, at this address: https://authorsforfireys.wixsite.com/website.