- Fundraising to support Australian fire-fighting efforts
- Zana Fraillon
- Kelly Van Nelson
- Narelle Warren
- Jodi McAlister
- Eleanor Limprecht
- Rob McDonald
- Nick Gadd: #AuthorsForFireys guest blog
- Elizabeth Stevens: #AuthorsForFireys guest blog
- Wai Chim
- Gabrielle Reid
- Sarah Foster
- Jessica White
- Peter McLean: #AuthorsForFireys guest blog
- Emma Neale: #AuthorsForFireys guest blog
- Anna Whateley: #AuthorsForFireys guest blog
- Favel Parrett
- Carly Findlay: #AuthorsForFireys guest blog
- Margaret Cook: #AuthorsForFireys guest blog
- Gabrielle Tozer: #AuthorsForFireys guest blog
- Ashley Kalagian Blunt: #AuthorsForFireys guest blog
- Phillipa Nefri Clark: #AuthorsForFireys guest blog
- Samuel Maguire: #AuthorsForFireys guest blog
- Imbi Neeme: #AuthorsForFireys guest blog
- Kelly Morton: #AuthorsForFireys guest blog
- Cass Moriarty
- Danie Ware: #AuthorsForFireys guest blog
- Meg Mundell
- Elizabeth Knox
- Christian White: #AuthorsForFireys guest blog
- Simon Cleary guest blog for Authors For Fireys
This guest blog features Margaret Cook, an author auctioning items to raise money via #AuthorsForFireys for the fire fighting effort here in Australia. The full set of #AuthorsForFireys interviews and blog posts will be here as soon as they are published, as interviews and guest blogs for #AuthorsForWildlife will be here.
Meet Margaret Cook
Queensland was hit by fires last year and people rallied to help, as they did in the 2011 Brisbane floods. As I watched the tragedy of the bushfires unfold in the southern states, I wanted to pay this generosity forward. Thanks to @EmilyGale and @NovaWeetman for this fabulous initiative and to @MoriartyCass for co-ordinating Brisbane authors.
My auction item for #AuthorsforFireys is my book A River with a City Problem: A History of Brisbane Floods (UQP 2019). At first, I was tentative to offer a book about floods during fires, it seemed ironic, but the issues behind floods and fires have a lot in common. I also work as an academic historian in the disasters space and currently co-editing a book with Scott McKinnon about bushfires, cyclones, floods and earthquakes so I have been following the bushfires very closely.
You can find out about me at www.margaretcookhistorian.com.au or follow me on twitter @mcookhistory or facebook (Margaret Cook: Historian).
Margaret Cook’s offer
#AuthorsForFireys Bris5EXPLORE&LEARN Signed: Expo88 @JackieRyan_Inc Shell by Kris Olsson ARiverwithaCityProblem @mcookhistory LifetimeImpossibleDays @tabithabird PLUS @kyd_magazine NewFiction & books pictured below pic.twitter.com/T2NNGf0DTb
— Cass Moriarty (@MoriartyCass) January 5, 2020
My book is available for bids with a bundle of fantastic books in the Bris5EXPLORE&LEARN collection. You can go to Cass Moriarty’s feed to find them.
But wait…. there’s more.
In total you get:
- World Expo 88: We’ll Show the World by Jackie Ryan
- Shell by Kris Olsson
- A River with a City Problem by Margaret Cook
- A Lifetime of Impossible Days by Tabitha Ann Bird
- PLUS a copy of Kill Your Darlings latest New Australian Fiction edition
- Two Old Men Dying by Tom Keneally
- Dinner with the Dissidents by John Tesarsch
- Simpson Returns by Wayne Macauley.
Margaret Cook, Photo credit: UQ
Please bid on original tweet.
An interview with Cass Moriarty will be up on this website tonight, complete with links to ALL NINE of the bundles she’s offering up for auction!
Want to know if this is legit?
Yes, it is legit. The whole community — Australian and global — is rallying together to support Australian firefighters, wildlife rescue and bushfire victims. Here are some reports on this effort.
- SBS: Australian authors rally around to raise funds for bushfire relief effort
- SMH: Authors ask readers to dig deep for nation’s bushfire crisis
- Book Riot: AUTHORS SUPPORT AUSTRALIA FIRE SERVICES WITH #AUTHORSFORFIREYS
- Penguin Books: Authors For Fireys — Australian authors band together to support the Country Fire Authority
- Daily Nous: Philosophers Raising Funds for Firefighters in Australia
- ArtsHub: Six ways artists can take action on bushfires
Fundraiser information from Emily Gale
The #AuthorsForFireys auction will take place only on Twitter from Monday 6th January, ending at 11pm AEST on Saturday 11th January. Scores of authors, illustrators and book industry people will host their own individual auction under the hashtag #AuthorsForFireys and bids will take place on each tweet. At the end, the highest bidder donates the amount directly to the firefighters fund. After receiving proof of donation, the author or artist will dispatch goods/services or make arrangements for delivery.
As originally wanted by @EmilyGale and @NovaWeetman, this fundraiser is now officially for ALL fire services in Australia. The official Authors For Fireys Website will be updated accordingly. Winning bidders or auctioning authors can nominate funds to the fire service of their choice.
Items up for auction include signed books, original illustrations, one-off fan-art and craft, unique gifts and manuscript critiques for writers.
There is a supporting site, explaining how it works, at this address: https://authorsforfireys.wixsite.com/website.