Dr Belle Alderman continues showing us the creative process behind developing a children’s picture book, using Dinosaurs Love Cheese and associated artwork.
Dinosaurs Love Cheese is an adorable book by Jackie French for which the Centre has original artwork demonstrating the creative process of developing art for a children’s book.
The series so far:
- a brief history of the Centre.
- a guided tour around part of the Centre: Dr Alderman shows us some of the amazing collection of Australian literature for children, associated artwork and other materials collected for posterity.
- rare books: Dr Alderman tells us about the Centre’s rare books collection and shares the history of Little Miss Anzac, one of the Centre’s rare books.
- publishers’ archives: Dr Alderman shows us some of the background material the Centre collects from publishers including media releases, materials from the editing process and so on.
- research material: Dr Alderman shows us some of the research material available at the Centre and a number of theses about Australian children’s literature.
- art collection: Dr Belle Alderman shows us a sample of the Centre’s art collection associated with Australian children’s Literature.
- creative process part 1: Dr Belle Alderman begins showing us the process behind developing a children’s picture book.
Dr Belle Alderman and her team of volunteers at the National Centre for Australian Children’s Literature perform vital work collecting Australia’s literary culture.
The Centre is in dire need of funding to secure suitable premises; much of the collection is in storage because there is insufficient room to shelve the books. Also, art is mostly in storage instead of on display although the Centre makes excellent use of its opportunities to exhibit portions of the collection where possible. I’d like to see a purpose-built Centre with more books shelved rather than stashed in boxes and permanent exhibition spaces displaying gorgeous artwork produced for children’s books.
Let’s make museums and literature fun, with spaces aimed at children, creating a life-long love of reading.